- Jul 12, 2014A discovery in green alga Volvox carteri shows how male and female sexes have evolved from a more primitive mating system in a single-celled relative.
- Jul 12, 2014A new study shows that some strains of the oceans’ most abundant organism can generate methane as a byproduct of breaking down a compound for its phosphorus
- Jul 11, 2014Scientists discovered that corals can better recover from yearly bouts of heat stress when they keep large energy reserves socked away in their cells.
- Jul 11, 2014New data from NASA's Cassini mission suggests that the ocean inside Saturn's largest moon, Titan, might be as salty as Earth's Dead Sea.
- Jul 10, 2014The average planetary orbit is ten times as elongated as Earths, a fact that can influence their potential habitability. Dim brown dwarfs may be part of the problem.
- Jul 7, 2014The evolution of the ribosome, a large molecular structure found in the cells of all species, has been revealed in unprecedented detail in a new study.