Skeptic Check: Sheer Lunacy
ENCORE Watch out, the moon is full… of intrigue. Our lovely satellite is blamed for all sorts of Earth-bound mischief –“ from robberies to shape-shifting to general nutty behavior. It´s also the setting for more than one loony tale. In this hour, as NASA spacecraft return to the moon, a look at the mythology it inspires.
Discover the true correlation between crime and a full moon… the 1835 reports of unicorns and man-bats living on moon… and, our favorite hair-raising howler: the werewolf! Also, why some still insist the Apollo moon landing is a hoax.
Plus, space travel –“ boxed and bundled.
- Phil Plait –“ Keeper of the skeptical website badastronomy.com and author of Death from the Skies!: These Are the Ways the World Will End . . .
- Matthew Goodman –“ Author of The Sun and the Moon: The Remarkable True Account of Hoaxers, Showmen, Dueling Journalists, and Lunar Man-Bats in Nineteenth-Century New York
- Jim Underdown –“ Executive Director for the Center for Inquiry West, Los Angeles and keeper of the blog Hollywood Reality Check
- June Pulliam –“ English professor, Louisiana State University
- Cynthia Phillips –“ Scientist at the SETI Institute and author, most recently, of Space Exploration For Dummies (For Dummies (Math & Science))
- Paul Spudis –“ Senior scientist at the Lunar and Planetary Institute