- Nov 8, 2011The White House has issued a statement in response to petitions asking the government to "disclose long withheld knowledge" of extraterrestrial beings. There is no evidence of life beyond our planet as of yet, but upcoming missions and research could help us determine if we
- Sep 11, 2011In September 2001, researchers building tools for NASA's Mars Exploration Rovers paid special tribute to victims of the attacks on September 11. Aluminum cuffs on the rock abrasion tools for Opportunity and Spirit were made from aluminum recovered from the destroyed World Trade Center towers.
- Jun 14, 2011Recently, a video made its way around the web that claimed a space station was discovered on Mars. In reality, the image is nothing more than bad pixels caused by a cosmic ray hitting the Mars Express spacecraft while the photo was being taken.
- May 9, 2011Research shows that increasing wind speeds and wave heights could be linked to climate change. However, not all recent and extreme weather events are due to changing climate. A separate study indicates that the record heat in Russia recorded in 2010 was a fluke, and
- Apr 25, 2011Greenhouse gases have increased more frequently in Earth's history than previously believed. Fluxes involved a significant exchange of carbon between surface reservoirs and the atmosphere. Higher levels of CO2 affect nutrient uptake by planets, which could cause problems as the modern climate continues to heat
- Apr 21, 2011Would extraterrestrials like to listen to our music? A new collaboration between science and music has created musical messages that might one day be sent to alien worlds.
- Apr 11, 2011A new study shows that melting ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctica are contributing more to rising sea levels than other sources, such as mountain glaciers and ice caps. Studying these sheets is important, because if they collapse they could dramatically change the level of
- Mar 14, 2011The ability of organisms to adapt to our changing climate could cause profound changes to the biosphere. Some microbes might remain dormant in environments until conditions improve. Invasive species could move into new environments, potentially triggering a mass extinction.