- Jul 23, 2014Inside gas giants, carbon is crushed at pressures we could only imagine - that is, until the National Ignition Laboratory found a way to make it happen here on Earth.
- Jul 22, 2014New research shows the vital role of oceans in moderating climate on Earth-like planets.
- Jul 21, 2014Because we live on the planet Earth, it's sometimes hard to gain some perspective about the visibility of life outside of our planet. An extraterrestrial spacecraft lurking in a satellite's orbit near Earth would be able to see city lights and pollution in our atmosphere.
- Jul 16, 2014A galaxy over 12 billion light years from Earth is running out of carbon dioxide gas, and headed for a ‘red and dead’ future.
- Jul 14, 2014NASA's new planet-cataloging mission is expected to detect more than 200 planets the size of Earths and super-Earths.
- Jul 10, 2014The average planetary orbit is ten times as elongated as Earths, a fact that can influence their potential habitability. Dim brown dwarfs may be part of the problem.
- Jul 1, 2014The closest and most potentially habitable planet ever found, by the numbers.
- Jun 30, 2014NASA's LCROSS spacecraft turned its scopes on Earth to view it as an exoplanet.
- Jun 26, 2014A new study shows how planets around long-lived, small stars could stay geophysically active, a key requirement for life.