- May 9, 2014More rocky planets than ever may be revealed by a new data-analysis technique.
- Apr 18, 2014Using NASA's Kepler Space Telescope, astronomers have discovered the first Earth-size planet orbiting a star in the "habitable zone" -- the range of distance from a star where liquid water might pool on the surface of an orbiting planet.
- Mar 15, 2014After searching hundreds of millions of objects across our sky, NASA's Wide-Field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE) has turned up no evidence of the hypothesized celestial body in our solar system commonly dubbed "Planet X."
- Mar 2, 2014Astronomers have used a new technique to identify water in the atmosphere of an extrasolar planet. The planet is a 'hot Jupiter' that orbits a nearby star named Tau Boötis.
- Feb 26, 2014NASA's Kepler mission has announced the discovery of 715 new planets, bringing the count of confirmed exoplanets to nearly 1,700.
- Jan 22, 2014Astronomers have found evidence of a giant planetary system forming around a young star. The study could provide new clues about the origin of such systems.
- Jan 15, 2014Astronomers have discovered three planets orbiting stars in the cluster Messier 67. One of these new exoplanets is orbiting a star that is a rare solar twin — a star that is almost identical to the Sun in all respects.