- Jun 19, 2014Asteroids are usually thought to be a danger to life, but their impact sites could also provide protection from ultraviolet rays.
- Jun 16, 2014A recent diving expedition provides a closer look at some South Pacific hydrothermal vents where the precursors to life may have gotten their start.
- Apr 13, 2014A new paper shows that wood-boring clams serve as “ecosystem engineers,” making the organic matter in the wood available to other animals that colonize wood falls in the deep waters of Monterey Canyon.
- Feb 27, 2014It seems like anywhere you look on Earth, microorganisms are there – even kilometers beneath the Earth’s surface where sunlight never reaches. Scientists are just beginning to understand Earth’s deep subsurface biosphere, but a new study might help determine just how far down microbes can
- Feb 13, 2014Scientists have discovered that a protein used in photosynthesis in plants likely developed in microorganisms on ancient Earth - long before oxygen became availalbe in the atmosphere.