- Apr 13, 2014A new paper shows that wood-boring clams serve as “ecosystem engineers,” making the organic matter in the wood available to other animals that colonize wood falls in the deep waters of Monterey Canyon.
- Feb 27, 2014It seems like anywhere you look on Earth, microorganisms are there – even kilometers beneath the Earth’s surface where sunlight never reaches. Scientists are just beginning to understand Earth’s deep subsurface biosphere, but a new study might help determine just how far down microbes can
- Feb 13, 2014Scientists have discovered that a protein used in photosynthesis in plants likely developed in microorganisms on ancient Earth - long before oxygen became availalbe in the atmosphere.
- Jan 18, 2014Already a major problem on Earth, increasingly resistant bacterial strains can be an even greater threat for space travelers. The Antibiotic Effectiveness in Space (AES-1) investigation will attempt to probe the reasons for antibiotic resistance in space.
- Dec 21, 2013Halomonas bacteria are well-known for consuming the metal parts of the Titanic. Researchers now have found Halomonas in sandstone formations deep underground.