- Feb 13, 2014Scientists have discovered that a protein used in photosynthesis in plants likely developed in microorganisms on ancient Earth - long before oxygen became availalbe in the atmosphere.
- Jan 18, 2014Already a major problem on Earth, increasingly resistant bacterial strains can be an even greater threat for space travelers. The Antibiotic Effectiveness in Space (AES-1) investigation will attempt to probe the reasons for antibiotic resistance in space.
- Dec 21, 2013Halomonas bacteria are well-known for consuming the metal parts of the Titanic. Researchers now have found Halomonas in sandstone formations deep underground.
- Dec 4, 2013Scientists are preparing for an expedition this December that will use robotic explorers to study life beneath the sea crust. The team will study previously unexplored hydrothermal vent systems off the Pacific coast of Costa Rica.
- Nov 14, 2013Viruses can coat themselves in silica glass to protect themselves, like donning a suit of armor. This finding has implications for the search for life on other planets such as Mars.
- Nov 13, 2013Scientists working in the deserts of the American west have uncovered a unique mechanism that helps life survive in a resource-limited environment.