- Jul 2, 2014The new study suggests that the joining of North and South America changed the salinity of the Pacific Ocean and caused major ice sheet growth.
- May 16, 2014Scientists have estimated that up to half of the recent warming in Greenland and surrounding areas may be due to climate variations that originate in the tropical Pacific, and are not connected with the overall warming of the planet.
- Mar 5, 2014With the help of a tiny fragment of zircon extracted from a remote rock outcrop in Australia, the picture of how our planet became habitable to life about 4.4 billion years ago is coming into sharper focus.
- Feb 6, 2014Early Earth appears to have had some kind of cold shelter against the weak young Sun, but how exactly did the atmosphere protect the planet?
- Nov 26, 2013A new study shows that massive volcanic eruptions and acidic rain could have played a role in the Great Dying - the largest mass extinction yet known in Earth's history.
- Nov 23, 2013Scientists are gaining new insight into Earth's atmospheric composition over the past 220 million years by studying amber deposits from around the world.
- Nov 7, 2013Astrobiology's study of life in the universe has much to say about how humans can live sustainably on Earth.