- Dec 23, 2013New research finds that the 4.3 billion-year-old diamonds reported in two papers in 2007 and 2008 could actually be contaminants introduced into geological samples from Australia.
- May 21, 2013Astrobiologists have discovered ancient pockets of water that have been isolated deep underground for billions of years. The water is trapped in rocks that are similar to rocks known to be on Mars, and it contains abundant chemicals known to support life.
- Apr 28, 2013Scientists have provided new information about the relationship between oxygen in Earth's early atmosphere and the sulfur cycle. The study could shed light on how oxygen accumulated in Earth's atmosphere - an event that had profound implications for life on our planet.
- Apr 3, 2013NASA researchers have deployed repurposed military UAVs to study a volcano. The technology could be effective for gathering data about volcanic ash and gases from otherwise inaccessible locations.
- Mar 26, 2013Scientists have uncovered new information about Earth's early oceans during a period of time that was critical to the evolution of complex life.