- Mar 31, 2011NASA's MESSENGER spacecraft has returned 1500 images from orbit around Mercury. The instruments on MESSENGER are working, and the mission is now poised to help scientists understand the evolution of the small, rocky planet that lies closest to the Sun.
- Mar 18, 2011NASA's MESSENGER probe has become the first spacecraft to enter into orbit around the planet Mercury. Studying Mercury will help astrobiologists understand the nature of small, rocky planets and the conditions that lead to habitability on such worlds.
- Nov 4, 2009On its final flyby of Mercury, NASA's Messenger spacecraft has captured images of never before seen regions of the planet. Messenger is providing new scientific findings about the closest planet to the sun, and teaching astrobiologists about how rocky planets form and evolve.
- May 2, 2009NASA's Messenger spacecraft has returned fascinated observations from the tiny planet next to the sun, including the discovery of magnesium in Mercury's atmosphere. The data also shows that Mercury's geological past was much more active than scientists previously believed. The findings could help astrobiologists understand
- Jan 13, 2008NASA is about to view one of the last unexplored terrains in the inner Solar System when the MESSENGER spacecraft flies within 125 miles of Mercury´s surface. It has been over thirty years since the planet was visited by a spacecraft, and Mercury's composition still
- Apr 5, 2006New computer simulations of Mercury's formation show the fate of material blasted out into space when a large proto-planet collided with a giant asteroid 4.5 billion years ago. The simulations, which track the material over several million years, shed light on why Mercury is denser