Meteorites,Comets and Asteroids
- Jan 25, 2002A discovery by a NASA scientist of sugar and several related organic compounds in two carbonaceous meteorites provides the first evidence that another fundamental building block of life on Earth may have come from outer space.
- Dec 19, 2001When unusually warm dust was first discovered around a nearby star, called zeta Leporis, infrared astronomers began hunting in detail for the heat source.
- Dec 5, 2001Astronomers have made the first direct detection and chemical analysis of an atmosphere of a planet that exists outside our solar system.
- Sep 4, 2001A team of astronomers has found a Jupiter-size planet in a circular orbit around a faint nearby star, raising intriguing prospects of finding a solar system with characteristics similar to our own.
- May 21, 2001A mass extinction about 200 million years ago destroyed at least half of the species on Earth, but left the dinosaurs standing.