- Jun 9, 2004The Cassini-Huygens spacecraft is nearing the giant ringed planet Saturn. It will orbit Saturn for the next several years, sending back scientific information about the planet and its rings and moons. Later this year, Cassini will release the Huygens probe to descend through the atmosphere
- Jun 6, 2004Closing in on Saturn this month, the Cassini spacecraft's camera continues to provide spectacular images of the ringed planet. In less than three weeks, the probe will cross between F and G ring systems while the orbiter slows down into its entry trajectory.
- Apr 30, 2004The Cassini spaceprobe now approaching Saturn got its last glimpse of the ringed planet in a composition that fills its camera lens. As the mission enters its system of moons, the views will get increasingly detailed in preparation for a December landing attempt on the
- Mar 9, 2004The Chandra X-ray telescope shows that Saturn differs from Jupiter in whether its x-ray image is more intense at the poles or centered on the equator. This result has puzzled theorists since neither the x-ray intensity nor distribution fits any existing explanations.
- Feb 27, 2004As the Saturn probe, Cassini, approaches the ringed planet, its new images show a puzzling lack of 'spokes' that were first observed when Voyager flew by on its way to outer solar system. Planned to enter orbit in July, Cassini will drop a descent probe